Aug. 30, 2013 by Leith Johnson
Woodrow Wilson, president of the United States from 1913 to 1921, taught history and political economy at Wesleyan from 1888 to 1890. This photograph shows the 1889-1890 Wesleyan faculty. Prof. Wilson is sitting in the front row, third from left, holding a top hat. Before Wesleyan, he taught at Bryn Mawr, where he felt “overworked, underpaid, and much less than enthusiastic about the higher education of women,” according to David B. Potts, author of Wesleyan University 1831–1910: Collegiate Enterprise in New England. Prof. Wilson left Wesleyan in 1890 to join the faculty of Princeton University.